Print

History

Thammasat University (TU), apart from being the second oldest, is also one of Thailand’s best known and respected universities. Officially established on 27 June 1934, the University was initially named by Prof. Dr. Pridi Banomyong:‘The University of Ethics and Politics.' It began as an open university, with 7,094 students enrolled in its first academic year. The University’s main  purpose upon its founding was “to teach students to love and cherish democracy.”

Thammasat Milestones

June 27, 1934 : The university was inaugurated under the name ‘Thammasat Lae Karn Muan,’ The University of Ethics and Politics (at Tha Phra Chan)

1952 : Name changed to Thammasat University
1960 : End of open-university era

1986 : Rangsit Campus  officially opened for Science and Technology faculties and all first-year courses

1995 : Pattaya Campus established

1996 : Lampang Campus established

2002 : All first- and second-year courses moved from Tha Phra Chan to Rangsit Campus

2006 : First class of undergraduate students to study for all four years at Rangsit Campus